Climate Change Literacy in Africa (code, shape-files and processed data sets)
This data set provides the supplemental code, data and shape-files for Simpson et al. 2021. Climate Change Literacy in Africa, Nature Climate Change.
Data set includes the following:
- Code for cleaning and merging the Afrobarometer data, as well as to run the analyses.
- Data set of national and sub-national climate change literacy rates for Africa.
- Data set of gender differences of national climate change literacy rates for Africa.
- Shape files presenting national and sub-national climate change literacy rates for Africa.
- Code and computed output files for climate trends extracted from ERA-5 experienced by Afrobarometer survey respondents for:
- the number of months per year in the past ten- and thirty-year periods in which temperature was above the 95th percentile (PPT),
- Standardized Precipitation-Evapotranspiration Index (SPEI),
- 3-month Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI),
- the duration of the longest dry spell (Max CDD) of the year.
Original datasets analysed during the current study are available from:
- the Afrobarometer repository, https://www.afrobarometer.org/data (all geolocation data has been removed from respondents in accordance with Afrobarometer data use protocols but can be accessed from the Afrobarometer).
- The ERA5-Land monthly data from the Copernicus Climate Data Store, https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/cdsapp#!/home,
- EM-DAT – the international disaster database https://www.emdat.be/.